Reasons to join
Why join Rotary?
- In an increasingly complex world, Rotary provides one of the most basic human needs: the need for friendship and fellowship. It is one of two reasons why Rotary began in 1905
- Rotary consists of every business community. Our members come from all walks of life. Rotarians help each other and collectively help others.
- Rotary is fun, a lot of fun. Each meeting is fun. Our club projects are fun. Social activities are fun.
- There are few places on the globe that do not have a Rotary club.
- Every Rotarian is welcome – even encouraged – to attend any of the 29,000 clubs in 194 nations and geographical regions. This means instant friends in both your own community and in the world community
- Because there are Rotary clubs everywhere, many a Rotarian in need of a doctor, lawyer, hotel, dentist, advice, etc., while traveling has found assistance through Rotary.
- Rotary provides one of the world’s largest youth exchange programs; high school and college clubs for future Rotarians; opportunities for spouse involvement; and a host of activities designed to help family members in growth and the development of family values.
- Around the world, practically every religion, country, culture, race, creed, political persuasion, language, color, and ethnic identity is found in Rotary. It is a cross section of the world’s most prominent citizens from every background. Rotarians become aware of their cultures and learn to love and work with people everywhere. They become better citizens of their countries in the process.
- Rotary is a service club. Its business is people. Its product is service. Rotarians provide community service to both local and international communities. This is perhaps the best reason for becoming a Rotarian: the chance to do something for somebody else and to sense the self-fulfillment that comes in the process and return of that satisfaction to one’s own life. It is richly rewarding.
You can read more about Rotary’s work around the world in the links at the top of this page.
Do you want to make a difference, both at home and around the world? Then Rotary International is for you.
Do you need your Rotary membership to be flexible? Then the Rotary eClub of Southern Scotland is for you!
Volunteering Work with Rotary Changes Lives
Whether you are volunteering by helping your local community set up a foodbank or responding to local and international disasters, there is a project or activity to suit everyone. By volunteering with Rotary, you know that you will be changing people’s lives for the better.
Being part of Rotary is more than just giving back to the community by volunteering. It is also about you bringing your skills, experience and enthusiasm to help it thrive, whilst making some great friends along the way. Our clubs are friendly places which invite speakers from a wide range of backgrounds to share their knowledge, increasing your social and cultural understanding. Members also share a common interest in friendship and if you visit any of our clubs around Great Britain and Ireland you will immediately feel the sense of camaraderie and fun.